Effective Date: October 13th, 2022
We may provide additional or supplemental privacy policies or notices for specific products or services that we offer at the time we collect personal information or as otherwise notified to you.
Collection of personal information
“Personal information” is any information that relates to an identified or identifiable individual. We may collect a variety of personal information in a number of ways:
Information you directly provide to us. For certain activities, such as when you register, subscribe to our alerts, or contact us directly, you may provide some or all of the following types of personal information to us:
- Contact information, such as your full name, name, email address, mobile phone number, and address.
- Profile data, such as a username and password that you may set to establish an online account with us and any other information that you add to your account profile.
- Payment information, such as credit card number, expiration date, and credit card security code, or other financial account information, where needed to complete a transaction.
- User-generated content, such as comments, questions, messages, works of authorship, and other content or information that you generate, transmit or otherwise make available on the Services, as well as associated metadata. Metadata includes information on how, when, where, and by whom a piece of content was collected and how that content has been formatted or edited.
- Correspondence information that you send to us and we exchange with you, including when you contact us for questions or feedback, or respond to a survey, whether through the Services, social media, or otherwise. When you contact us, we may also keep a record of your communication to better support you in the future.
Information we collect automatically. We may collect certain information automatically when you use our Services, such as your Internet protocol (IP) address, device and advertising identifiers, browser type, operating system, other device information, general location information (such as city, state or geographic area), the pages that you visit before and after using the Services, the date and time of your visit, information about the links you click and pages you view within the Services, whether you have opened our marketing emails or clicked links within them, and other standard server log information.
When you buy Internet service from us or other Internet service providers that utilize Althea’s networking software, we also automatically collect usage information to enable us to engineer, manage, deliver, improve, secure, protect, and troubleshoot our Services. For example, we collect network traffic data, performance data, technical support data, public blockchain address and associated information for payments, or information about the websites you visit while using the Services to provide the Services to you. For more information about our data processing activities regarding Althea Internet connectivity services, please review our frequently asked questions document here.
Information we obtain from other sources. We may receive information about you from other sources, including through third-party services and organizations. For example, if you access third-party services, such as Facebook, Google, or Twitter, through the Services to interact with the Services or to share information about your experience on the Services with others, we may collect information from these third-party services. We may also receive information about you from data providers, public and private sources (such as government agencies, public records, and social media platforms), our affiliate partners, and marketing partners (such as joint marketing partners or event co-sponsors).
Personal information about others. You may have the opportunity to refer other individuals to us and share their contact information with us. Please do not refer someone to us or share their contact information with us unless you have their permission to do so.
How we use personal information
We collect, use, and store your personal information for the reasons set out below.
Where the processing is necessary to administer our relationship with you, including where based on our contract with you or to take steps at your request prior to entering into a contract. For example, we may use your personal information to:
- create and administer orders for you;
- establish and maintain your user profile on the Services;
- enable security features of the Services, such as by sending you security codes via email or SMS, and remembering devices from which you have previously logged in;
- communicate with you about the Services, including by sending announcements, updates, security alerts, and support and administrative messages;
- provide support for the Services, and respond to your requests, questions, and feedback; and
- facilitate you visiting our offices or attending events.
Where the processing is necessary for our legitimate interests and where our interests are not outweighed by your data protection rights. For example, we may use your personal information to:
- further our research and development, including to analyze and improve the Services and our business;
- collect and use your personal information for marketing and advertising purposes, including through service providers or third parties and to understand your needs and interests, and personalize your experience with the Services and our communications;
- send you Althea-related or other direct marketing communications as permitted by law;
- undertake mergers, acquisitions, reorganizations, disposals, or other business transactions as permitted/required in accordance with local law; and
- protect our, your or others’ rights, privacy, safety or property (including by making and defending legal claims).
Where necessary to comply with a legal obligation. For example, we may use your personal information to:
- comply with applicable laws, lawful requests, and legal processes, such as to respond to subpoenas or requests from government authorities;
- audit our internal processes for compliance with legal and contractual requirements and internal policies;
- enforce the terms and conditions that govern the Services; and
- prevent, identify, investigate, and deter fraudulent, harmful, unauthorized, unethical, or illegal activity, including cyberattacks and identity theft.
With your consent. In some cases, we may specifically ask for your consent to collect, use or share your personal information, such as when required by law.
Anonymized, aggregated, or de-identified data
How we share personal information
- Third-party vendors and service providers. We share your information with third-party vendors and service-providers that provide services on our behalf or help us operate the Services or our business, including email deployment, payment processing, DNS resolvers, hosting and other information technology, business analytics, marketing, customer service, and data processing.
- Corporate affiliates. We may share your information with our corporate affiliates.
- Business or marketing partners. We may share your information with third parties with whom we collaborate on joint activities (such as co-sponsors of contests and promotions), with whom we have entered into joint marketing relationships or other joint ventures, or who we think may offer you products or services that may be of interest to you.
- Business transferees. We may share your information with acquirers and other relevant participants in connection with a substantial corporate transaction, such as the sale of a website, a merger, consolidation, asset sale, or in the unlikely event of bankruptcy.
- Legal authorities and others. We may share information with law enforcement, government authorities, and private parties, as we believe in good faith to be necessary or appropriate for the legal compliance and other purposes described above.
- With your consent. We may share information for any other purposes disclosed to you at the time we collect the information or pursuant to your instruction or consent.
If you access third-party services, such as Facebook, Google, or Twitter, through the Services (for example, to share information about your experience on the Services with others), these third-party services may be able to collect information about you, including information about your activity on our Services, and they may notify your connections on the third-party services about your use of the Services, in accordance with their own privacy policies.
We use reasonable measures to help protect information from loss, theft, misuse and unauthorized access, disclosure, alteration, and destruction. You should understand that no data storage system or transmission of data over the Internet or any other public network can be guaranteed to be completely secure. Please note that information collected by third parties may not have the same security protections as information you submit to us, and we are not responsible for protecting the security of such information.
How long we retain personal information
Your personal information will be retained only for so long as reasonably necessary for the purposes set out above, considering criteria such as applicable rules on statute of limitations, legal requirements, and the duration of your use of our Services.
In accordance with applicable law, you may have a right to:
- access and to obtain a copy of your personal information as processed by Althea;
- request that we disclose what personal information we collect, use, and share about you;
- request the correction of personal information we hold about you, if you believe it is incorrect or incomplete (for example by logging into the Services if you have registered for an account with us);
- object to the processing of your personal information;
- request the deletion of your personal information;
- request a restriction on the processing of your personal information; and/or
- withdraw your consent where we obtained your consent to process personal information (without this withdrawal affecting the lawfulness of any processing that took place prior to the withdrawal).
We will honor such requests for as required under the applicable data protection laws and regulations, and we will not discriminate against you for exercising your legal rights. However, please note that such rights are not absolute: they do not always apply, and exemptions may be applicable. Althea will usually, in response to any such request, ask you to verify your identity and place of residence and/or provide information that helps us to better understand your request. If we do not comply with your request, we will explain why.
To exercise the above rights with Althea, you may contact us as set forth below in the “How to contact us” section. If you are not satisfied with how we process your personal information, please let us know and we will investigate your concern.
If you are not satisfied with our response, you have the right to make a complaint to the data protection authority in the jurisdiction where you live or work, or in the place where you think an issue in relation to your data has arisen. For European residents, the contact details of data protection authorities in the European Economic Area can be found here: http://ec.europa.eu/justice/data-protection/article-29/structure/data-protection-authorities/index_en.htm.
You also have the following choices with respect to your personal information:
- Direct Marketing: Email. If you receive an unwanted marketing email from us, you can use the unsubscribe link found at the bottom of the email to opt out of receiving future marketing emails, and we will process your request within a reasonable time after receipt. We may also send you certain non-promotional communications regarding us and our Services and you may not be able to opt out of those communications.
- Disabling certain technologies. Please note that you may need to take additional steps to refuse or disable certain technologies. For example, you may be able to refuse or disable cookies by adjusting your web browser settings. Because each web browser is different, please consult the instructions provided by your web browser (typically in the “help” section). If you choose to refuse, disable, or delete these technologies, some of the functionality of the Services may no longer be available to you.
- Mobile settings. Using your mobile device settings to limit use of the advertising ID associated with your mobile device for interest-based advertising purposes.
- Ad industry tools. The online advertising industry provides websites from which you may opt out of receiving targeted ads from data partners and other advertising partners that participate in self-regulatory programs. You can access these, and also learn more about targeted advertising and consumer choice and privacy at www.networkadvertising.org/managing/opt_out.asp, http://www.youronlinechoices.eu and www.aboutads.info/choices. Please note you must separately opt out in each browser and on each device.
- Do-Not-Track Signals and Similar Mechanisms. Some web browsers transmit "do-not-track" signals to websites. Because of differences in how web browsers incorporate and activate this feature, it is not always clear whether users intend for these signals to be transmitted, or whether they even are aware of them. We currently do not take action in response to these signals.
Third-party advertising, links, and content
Users outside of the United States
We are headquartered in the United States and may use service providers that operate there or in other countries. Your personal information may be transferred to the United States or other locations where privacy laws may not be as protective as those in your state, province, or country.
Additional disclosures for California residents
For purposes of the California Consumer Privacy Act, we have not “sold” or “shared” personal information in the preceding 12 months.
- Any categories of personal information described in subdivision (e) of Section 1798.80 of the California Civil Code (e.g., address, telephone number, etc.);
- Internet or other similar network activity;
- Commercial information; and
- Inferences drawn from any of the above information categories.
You may use an authorized agent to submit a consumer rights request on your behalf. If you are an authorized agent wishing to exercise rights on behalf of a California resident, please contact us using the information in the “How to contact us” section below and provide us with a copy of the consumer’s written authorization designating you as their agent. Please note that we may still contact you to confirm that this request was submitted with your permission.
Additional disclosures for Maine residents
This section applies if you reside in Maine and subscribe to Althea for Internet service. Maine’s Broadband Internet Access Service Customer Privacy Act (the “Act”) generally prohibits providers of broadband Internet access service (“Providers”) from using, disclosing, selling or permitting access to “customer personal information” without a customer’s express, affirmative consent, which may be revoked at any time.
The Act provides that a Provider may not refuse to serve a customer who does not provide consent where consent is required or charge a customer a penalty or offer a customer a discount based on the customer's decision to provide or not provide such consent.
In addition, Providers must take reasonable measures to protect customer personal information from unauthorized use, disclosure or access, taking into account the nature and scope of the Provider's activities, the sensitivity of the data the provider collects, the size of the Provider, and the technical feasibility of the security measures.
In addition, a Provider may use, disclose, sell, or permit access to information that is not “customer personal information”, unless the customer opts out.
The Act exempts certain activities from those provisions, however, and stipulates that a Provider need not obtain customer consent for the collection, retention, use, disclosure, or sale or access to customer personal information to:
- Provide the service from which such information is derived or for the services necessary to the provision of such service;
- Advertise or market the Provider's communications-related services to the customer;
- Comply with a lawful court order;
- Initiate, render, bill for and collect payment for broadband Internet access service;
- Protect users of the provider's or other providers' services from fraudulent, abusive or unlawful use of or subscription to such services; or
- Provide geolocation information concerning the customer:
- For the purpose of responding to a customer's call for emergency services, to a public safety answering point; a provider of emergency medical or emergency dispatch services; a public safety, fire service or law enforcement official; or a hospital emergency or trauma care facility; or
- To a provider of information or database management services solely for the purpose of assisting in the delivery of emergency services in response to an emergency.
The Services are not intended for use by children under 16 years of age. If we learn that we have collected personal information through the Services from a child under 16 without the consent of the child’s parent or guardian as required by law, we will delete it.
How to contact us
Phone/text: (866) 4ALTHEA ((866) 425-8432)
Mail: 350 Columbia River Hwy, Clatskanie Oregon 97016